Monday, May 9, 2016

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer


 

 

Synopsis

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl. . . .  Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future.

 

Samantha's Review
 
   
This is the first book in the Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer. I read the hardcover book which is 400 pages long.
 
Cinder is a take on the fairy tale Cinderella, set in a futuristic world where aliens and cyborgs are a normal thing. A plague has spread over the land and when someone Cinder loves gets it, she is forced into the hands of scientists that would do tests on her to find a cure.
 
But she makes a few friends and discovers much more about the Lunar people than she thought. She risks her life to save those she cares for and ends up discovering her own hidden secret in the process.
 
At first I wasn't sure I was going to like this story. I'm more of a fairies and dragons fantasy lover, but I thought I would give it a try. It was written really well and pulled me in pretty quick.
 
I think the twist of it being based on an old fairy tale was really cool. It's not an exact retelling, which I love. It has it's own twists and turns.
 
I will definitely be reading the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment